Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Kaylee, the self-walking dog


This afternoon Kaylee decided that she wanted to go on a walk, so she let herself out of the back gate and started off around the block. (I had not latched it all the way when I went to get the mail and I think she waited for a gust of wind to crack it enough to get her nose through to push it open.) She was taking our regular route and completely ignoring my calls, so I sent Katie and Nicholas to meet me on the other side of our block and I got in the van to follow Kaylee. I caught up with her around the first corner, but when I acted like I was going to get out she started trotting faster. Then I opened the van's sliding door and pulled up next to her again. This time she looked at me like I was crazy and trotted on around the next corner. We kept this up with me driving down the wrong side of our neighborhood roads with my van door open and my blinkers on. She would stop and I would stop next to her and call her. She would ignore me and trot on her merry way until she peed twice, pooped once and finally decided it really was a bit hot to be walking. She hopped in the van about the time the kids caught up with us.

I'm actually thinking that this would be a great new method for walking her in bad weather. I can just hang the leash out the window and roll along beside her in the van.

No comments:

What a Journey!

What a journey parenting is! I vaguely remember the years before we had children, but there were only about three of them, which is in the n...